Barter

Lord Les

Barter

Postby Lord Les » Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am

This has probably been asked and answered multiple times, but how is barter handled? Example: I am a master at sculpture. I create works of art that are truly beautiful. Someone else lives in a house that I would like to live in. Is it best for all if I give my works of art to that person, and in return am allowed to live at their residence? My question is designed to bring to the forefront, the "problem" of acquisition. If people are allowed to trade among themselves then there will be unequal distribution. It is inevitable.

Marlen

Re: Barter

Postby Marlen » Thu May 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Lord Les wrote:This has probably been asked and answered multiple times, but how is barter handled? Example: I am a master at sculpture. I create works of art that are truly beautiful. Someone else lives in a house that I would like to live in. Is it best for all if I give my works of art to that person, and in return am allowed to live at their residence? My question is designed to bring to the forefront, the "problem" of acquisition. If people are allowed to trade among themselves then there will be unequal distribution. It is inevitable.

Question would be:why would you want to live at someone else's house if you will have the ability to live in your own? Sure if you want to make such kind of deals with people, nothing and no one will prevent you from doing so - I also enjoy exchanging works of art and that's perfectly fine. Acquisition won't exist as it does with the whole load of 'value' as this separate fictional realm that has no correlation to physical reality. Value will become the actuality and physicality of things that we are able to get or a particular purpose, it is valued for 'what it is'. It doesn't matter if you want to do such kind of trading which would be more veered toward the 'Gifting' aspect that we will all be able to indulge in once that no one will be poor or having 'less than others.' Thus bartering can be redefined as just giving and receiving the same way you would give gifts to people nowadays, but that won't affect at all your ability to have everything that you require to live in dignity - hence it has nothing to do with 'unequal distribution' because that which you have access to by virtue of being alive won't be handled as bartering. If you want to share with others or trade/barter/exchange stuff with others, that's fine but it won't define how much you get by default as part of the Equality System, it will only define how much you are willing to give to others and get others in exchange. The same will happen if someone decides to give all that they unconditionally get to others, but the point here is:why would anyone want to get something from others if they also have the same equal access to it?

Hence I do see this as a gifting process which has to do with, for example, art works that are not replaceable or 'sold in series' but unique works that will be more of a gift than any form of 'economic activity' as it has become now.

Some other perspectives on Bartering which is not the same as what you present in your example within the context of Equal Money (you can research Gift Economy by Charles Eisenstein which is something that could be applied once that giving all the necessary to live in dignity is ensured to all at a political level, but not as a replacement to Equal Money System, just a new 'living philosophy' so to speak of giving, receiving and being able to enjoy exchanging the work that we do with others/ sharing in essence)

Blog: Bartering is STILL Capitalism

Vlog:2011 Bartering is STILL Capitalism - Equal Money System

Return to “The Life Labor System”